Blog 7: What are the benefits of a diverse and inclusive PLN in social media sharing that understands where you are coming from with messaging that impacts the community?

Establishing a diverse PLN to use online can only help one grow their perspective on life. Social media sharing increases outreach and promotes natural growth in individuals. This can be in both categories of communities and individuals. 

The latter can play a significant role in how your PLN reacts to the content you share and educates you on how people will perceive the content you share. For example, an athlete may be able to respond better to a post one makes about them playing hockey compared to someone in their PLN that they connected with when discussing cryptocurrencies.

If you are interested in learning, expanding your horizons, and educating yourself, social media can be an excellent way to achieve this. Engaging with your PLN is also necessary to ensure that no one is offended or hurt by the content you post you share with your PLN. What you may think is ok to share online, someone of another background may disagree; therefore, it is always important to check in with people in your PLN.

Furthermore, say I was to post about an upcoming student-run event that is taking place at a student-run bar. Given that most of my PLN are students, my PLN would respond and understand where my message is coming from a lot more than if my mother was to share the same post, as her PLN is comprised of ladies her age. Understanding your followers and PLN is crucial when engaging with your PLN online.

1. bruce song

I deinfintely think that you have a good point in how both individuals and communities are going to grow thru having a diverse inclusive PLN, sometimes we only look at how PLN are going to impact us personally since it is called a “personal learning network” however it has the power to make people expand and reach out and thus bring people togeather and we are able to learn togeather therefore it will have a great impact in the communities around us. Thus I believe that having an inclusive PLN will also help promote the inclusivity of the commnities that follows it.